29 December 2007

National Commentaries On Huckabee

Bob Dole's Response to Huckabee's Criticsm of Bush:

"Unexpected late intervention by Bob Dole in the Iowa Republican caucuses confirms that Mike Huckabee may have blundered by assailing President George W. Bush's 'arrogant bunker mentality' in international affairs. 'Why have you joined the 'Bush bashers'?' Dole asked in a letter to Huckabee that he made public....Dole, who won the 1996 Iowa caucuses en route to the presidential nomination, told Huckabee that Iowans would not approve of his attack on Bush (who still gets 80 percent approval from Republicans)."
  • Robert Novak, Dec 29, posted on RealClearPolitics http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/12/huckabee_slipping.html


National Talk Show Host, Glenn Beck, recounted a story of his encounter with Gov. Huckabee recently:

"Well, [Huckabee] tried to explain to me that [his question about Mormons believing Jesus and Satan were brothers] was just eight or ten words in an 8100-word newspaper article. To me it was the question that he asked.

I said, you know, Governor, if you really want to know, you'd ask somebody who knows, and I don't think that's a reporter at the New York Times.

He said, well, he was a very bright man.

I said, I'm sure he is. I'm sure he is, but you would ask somebody who knows. And if you would like to know, I arranged this for Al Sharpton…I said, you know, why don't you go to meet with some of the heads of the church? Why don't you ask them these questions. Why don't you educate yourself on that. He didn't take me up on that. Didn't quite frankly show any interest. I didn't expect him to. I don't really honestly believe that -- I don't believe the man -- here's what I said.

…. I don't think Mike Huckabee had any empathy for me or anybody else that happens to be of Mitt Romney's faith. Because I said to him at the end, I said, you know what, it's not that you offended me. It's not that you hurt me. I said, I know the pain you caused other people. I know I am so sick and tired of people who were chased out of this country with torches and pitchforks and buried their children in the plains because they wanted to worship God of their own understanding."
  • Glenn Beck, Dec 14, http://www.glennbeck.com/news/12142007a.shtm

Ann Coulter made this comment:

"[Huckabee] supports a nationwide smoking ban anyplace where people work, constitutional protection for sodomy, big government, higher taxes and government benefits for illegal aliens. According to my calculations, that puts him about three earmarks away from being Nancy Pelosi. "
  • Ann Coulter, Dec 26, http://www.anncoulter.com/

Rush Limbaugh had this to say about Huckabee's Conservatism:

"Huckabee is using his devout Christianity to mask some other things that are distinctively not conservative. He is against free trade. He's really doesn't believe in free market. Well, let me read what George Will wrote today... 'Huckabee's campaign actually is what Rudy Giuliani's candidacy is misdescribed as being -- a comprehensive apostasy against core Republican beliefs. Giuliani departs from recent Republican stances regarding two issues -- abortion and the recognition by the law of same-sex couples. Huckabee's radical candidacy broadly repudiates core Republican policies such as free trade, low taxes, the essential legitimacy of America's corporate entities and the market system allocating wealth and opportunity."
  • Rush Limbaugh, Dec 20, http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_122007/content/01125106.guest.html

No comments: